sfsamperi.blogspot.com

You have to survive

You have to survive
Every day is a battle, survival is rule #1

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

stopped out of SPN today for a 3.1% loss. even if the stop was bigger for this trade which now i think i should have done, it still would have gotten stopped out but i still see the difference it could make. overall a good day of decent gains.

i had been thinking about something i could do to improve my trades since my probability is a little anemic lately. Market timing still doesnt make sense to me but i realized my stop losses werent always the size they should have been. I had been making sure my losses dont exceed 3%, but that doesnt have to apply to every single trade, just for overall account losses. So as long as i dont put 100% of my capital into any one trade then i can let trades have 4 or 5% stop losses and it wont matter. Bigger stops would be used for bigger gains, it would all even out in the long run. I had some good-looking trades that i skipped just cuz the range(reward) wasnt big enough since i was "requiring 20% range". Now i will still try to use them as long as i lower my risk proportionately. I was also getting stopped out of good-looking trades at the beginning since my stop wasnt big enough. I was giving all my trades a 3% stop loss but for me, that should only apply to a channel with a range of 21%. The flip side would be when i had stops that were way too big for a smaller range, such as one with only 10% range, and i had to subjectively lower the stop just cuz it looked so funny that i knew it wasnt right. The stop loss is my risk and the range is my reward. So this is all apart of my risk to reward stuff. So now i will make sure my stops are the appropriate size in relation to the range.

Also i will completely start over with new research every week since after a week, most of my watchlist turns to crap anyways. Really no point in me filtering through a bunch of crappy charts just to keep some that still look ok when i could just do a bunch of new research really quick. When i flip through my watchlist before the close every day looking for volume, i want everything to still have potential.

risk to reward that i want is 1:7

RISK % : RANGE %
5 : 35
4.5 : 32
4 : 28
3.5 : 25
3 : 21
2.5 : 18
2 : 14
1.5 : 11
1 : 7

No comments:

Post a Comment